Welcome to War Graves, Debrecen Municipal Cemetery
Debrecen’s first public cemetery - situated in the Great Forest, along the road leading to Nyíregyháza - opened on 15 July 1932. Many families in Debrecen had their dead, some of them soldiers, reinterned here from the closed-down denominational cemeteries. The tombs of these soldiers and those buried here in the natural order can be found sporadically on the entire ground of the cemetery. The first plot dedicated to heroes is the resting place of the hundreds of victims killed by the aerial bombing of 2 June 1944. The plot of Hungarian heroes, where the heroic soldiers from places other than Debrecen are laid to rest, was also established during WWII. Not far from here is the plot containing the individual and shared tombs of the soldiers of the Red Army, where the bodies of Soviet soldiers of several nationalities, including Hungarians, are interned along with some prisoners of war. Until the 1990s this plot was the burial ground for the Soviet army stationed in Debrecen.
Aerial View: Csaba Szabó and Jr. Csaba Szabó - Compiled by: Csaba Imre Ilyés - Created: April 2016
No front page content has been created yet.